Friday, November 14, 2014

My humble dream

I've never given much thought of what I want to be when I grow up . I'm so focused on enrolling in uni , getting good grades, continuing to my Degree, Masters and PhD that I have little in my mind to think about the outcome of these tertiary education.Even when it does cross my mind, I brush it off by saying, ''Something related to English...''. 

Yet nowadays, I've been imagining myself working as a ... LECTURER ! Yes .. I had visions of being a school teacher once but it faded as I grew older.Turns out,I'm very much interested being in the educational field. Why?

I want to be front and centre , sharing and giving out knowledge to those who thirst it . I want to be a part of a team that helps in developing the mind of young adults so they have a clear path of success.Its not just about the lecture notes and assignments,its more than that.Thats where students learn about life away from parents, life as they face another step of reality and realizing they are now adults.

The sudden desire to become a lecturer definitely came from my lecturers itself ! I've had the privilege to learn under amazing people . Seeing their confidence , their flawlessness in teaching for two hours is simply inspiring to me !At times I wonder if they will ever stumble and forget what to say next,they don't ! To them, lecturing seems as easy as breathing ! Whatever fear  or nervousness they might feel ,they're doing a darn good job at hiding it .A skill I will have to learn and master.

In my uni alone ,I've mistaken a number of lecturers as students !They look so young and petite compared to most students here,we're so huge !I recalled one time as I waited for the lecturer to come in my first class , a student came in and stood in the middle class.I was confused,thinking ''Oh, maybe she has a message to give'' . But then , ''Hello I'll be your lecturer for this sem . . . .''                                                                                  
                                              Wait,what?

Do not be deceived guys ,they have a Degree/Masters certificate in their hands . But back to the point,see ! How amazing is that , to teach and nurture young adults into the working world.I look up to my lecturers so much and I always look forward to their classes.I don't skip class unnecessarily and I even go for extra classes . Apart from wanting to re-learn the chapter,my friend said that perhaps its because I want to be just like them when I grow up ,thats why I pay attention so much . I couldn't agree more.

The lecturers in my uni are so down to earth and cool .Some are incredibly hilarious that you don't realize time's out and I'll be like alaaaa ... Because of this , I take it as a motivation to work hard in anything so I don't disappoint them . A win-win situation.

The only slight glitch that got me thinking and re-thinking of pursuing this career is ; what if I get heartbroken? No not love and relationships and crap , I'm talking about the students reaction towards you.

  • What if the students don't like you?
  • What if they don't respect you?
  • What if everyone is talking as you conduct your class?
  • What if they get bored , signed the attendance and storm out?
It's sad cuz its true.I've seen these happen before and feel the pain and frustration they lecturers feel.(or its just me ). I feel guilty even though I'm quiet and pay attention. Its harder to control the class considering you're dealing with adults instead of school children.I might even burst to tears out of disappointment !

Yet again ,I'm mesmerized at how they handle the situations.They can keep their face impassive and ignore while teaching to those who really do want to study. Better yet,some go completely silent until the class quiets down. I've even had a lecturer kick two boys out .Mind you ,I was terrified when that happened.

I guess through it all ,it really comes to your interest whether you want to do it or not . And I , DO .Insyaallah I'm still keeping my options open but this is definitely on my list . I might even end up working in my university , educating the batch of fresh students. 

A girl can dream right ? I sure hope so .

No comments:

Post a Comment